The United States has long been recognized as the world leader in dairy genetics. The U.S. dairy industry is a proven product – backed by years of successful performance from generations of cattle that have been bred for good health and high milk production and quality.
- The productivity of U.S. dairy cows continues to grow.
- U.S.milk production per cow has tripled in the past half-century.
- This dramatic increase is the result of improved genetics in the U.S. dairy herd.
- The superiority of U.S. dairy genetics has been noticed around the world by dairy producers.
- 80-90 percent of the herds in leading dairying nations can trace their genetic lineage to the U.S. dairy industry.
ADVANTAGES OF U.S. DAIRY GENETICS
- The U.S.has 9.1 million dairy cows – second largest dairy population in the world.
- Average milk production is 9,682 kg per cow per year, significantly higher than other countries.
- U.S.dairy population has a large genetic base for performance testing.
- The U.S. Holstein breed, alone, annually progeny tests about 30% of all Holstein bulls worldwide.
- U.S.dairy cattle can perform anywhere.
- Climatic conditions in the U.S. range from -34°C to +38°C.
- Many U.S. cattle have to perform under extreme humidity and cold conditions all year.
Competitive AI Industry
- The members of the National Association of Animal Breeders (NAAB) account for about 95 percent of the dairy and beef cattle semen sales in the United States.
- A diverse group of bulls are progeny-tested and genetic evaluations are shared and freely available.
- The U.S. is willing to export semen from top bulls to any country willing to import and establish a protocol.
- U.S.dairy industry is composed of supporting private and government organizations, with the individual dairy producer at the center.
- Independent organizations and specialized agencies, with no commercial interest, are responsible for calculating genetic evaluations.
- Helped the U.S. dairy industry become the most productive in the world.
REMEMBER THESE ADVANTAGES
- The U.S. dairy industry is the most experienced and advanced in the world when it comes to measuring and tracking animal performance.
- Access to information ensures the dairy genetics you purchase instantly contribute to your bottom line.
- With the proper information, you know you’ve chosen an animal that meets your requirements for milk fat, milk protein and production.
THE BENEFITS TO YOU
- You benefit from U.S. genetics because a large progeny group from many sires is nationally distributed across many herds, environments and management types.
- You benefit because the focus of U.S. sire selection is total economic merit: production, type, health and longevity.
- You benefit because the United States will continue to be a strong force internationally due to continued improvements.
EACH BREED OFFERS UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS
With nearly 10 million head in the nation’s herd, U.S. dairy cattle offer the most diverse genetics available today. Genetic diversity within breeds is almost as great as the variety of genetics among breeds. This diversity allows you to choose from established bloodlines similar to the bloodlines found in your herd. Or you can choose new genetics to improve characteristics and traits in your dairy cattle that you haven’t focused on before.
Click on the breeds of interest to you…
U.S. Livestock Genetics Export, Inc.
413 N. Broadway, Suite C · Salem, IL 62881
Phone: 618-548-9154 · Fax: 618-548-9709 · Contact Us
Copyright © 2000 U.S. Livestock Genetics Export, Inc. | All Rights Reserved